Thursday, September 29, 2011

Capoeira Class

In other, more recent, news, I had my first capoeira dance class tonight, and it was unbelievable! I had forgotten how much fun it really is. We spent the first hour just practicing kicks, moves, ducks and some acrobatics. We did floor exercises and stretching and I learned two new high kicks, one duck, one duck and low kick, and one high kick that turns into a hand-stand cartwheel thing. I'm still going to have to work on the last one...There were only ten of us there, including the instructor, and everyone was very nice and welcoming. There were eight guys there, one other girl, and me, and I think four of us were beginners, so it gave a good dynamic to the class. Apparently the club is very new to UCD, so its quite informal.

After practicing either on our own or in pairs, we all got into a circle and "played capoeira." This means that the leader holds a berimbaus, which looks like an archery bow that is hit with a metal rod attached to something that makes a maraca sound. Then we all clap and sing along to whatever the leader chooses. It's very simple and rhythmic. Then two people meet in the middle of the circle and begin using their moves on one another. It's sort of like dance meets martial arts, but you also get to sing and sometimes play instruments. If you want to learn more about capoeira the Wiki page is very helpful. Below I am including a video of what capoeira can look like when it is done well and by masters:

That's about all for tonight I think. Tomorrow I head off on yet another adventure. This trip is with the Ireland and UK kids from my home university, and I think there are only like eight of us going. We will be headed to stay in Carna, in county Galway out on the West coast, and will have all of Saturday and Sunday morning full of planned activities. I'm excited, and I have so much to do before I leave! I will try to give updates on twitter if I have internet access, but I might be technologically quiet until Sunday or Monday. Have a great weekend everyone, I know I hope to! Once again, thanks for reading!

No comments: